Rebuild Our Economy. Can You Help?
Australian Unions have released a comprehensive blueprint for rebuilding the economy and restoring jobs in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis. Before the virus we were living with the devastating effects of thirty years of trickle-down economics: a decimated social safety net, millions of people in insecure work, and stagnant wage growth. Returning to business as usual is not good enough. This is our opportunity to build an economy that works for everyone.
Our eight-point plan calls for the creation of two million new secure jobs and the halving of job insecurity. Setting these targets will guide the rebuilding of the Australian economy.
- Improve the quality and security of jobs by halving the number of insecure jobs and increasing by 2 million the number of permanent jobs.
- Lift wages and living standards.
- Strengthen and invest in public and community services that are our first line of defence against ‘shocks’ like COVID-19, bushfires and drought.
- Support nation-building projects that create decent jobs and set Australia up for a brighter future.
- Education and training.
- Deal with the crisis of climate change.
- Improve social, health and economic outcomes for people and communities that experience disadvantage.
- Embrace industry policy and ‘Australian made’.
Add your support and show the Morrison Government we must implement these vital steps to rebuild the economy and restore jobs.
Australian Council of Trade Unions